Thursday, January 25, 2007

Leary

I enjoyed this article. It was my favorite out of all the ones we have read so far. I totally agree with Leary and his opinion on cyberpunks. Cyberpunks really are the new role models for the new millennium. I think that people like cybepunks are going to change the world even more than they already have. After I read this article I realized that I am a cyberpunk because I mirror the definition of a cyberpunk; someone who uses all available data-input to think for myself. I believe that everyone in our generation has a little bit of cyberpunk in them, as long as they think for themselves. I like how Leary talks about the cyberpunk counterculture in the Soviet Union. What once was a strong bureaucratic controlling government is now being changed to somewhat of a self government because of cyberpunks. I would have never pictured Christopher Columbus or Mark Twain as a cyberpunks. I guess it is misleading to call them that because the word cyberpunk makes me think of computers but the word cyberpunks has many different meanings from Greek and Roman culture. The evolution of countercultures was very interesting. I liked to see how the moods, attitudes, intellectual viewpoint brain-tech, politics and cosmic views have changed over the years until now the “New Breed”. I think that cyberpunks will continue to make an impact on the world as time goes on.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ward said...

I am glad that you were able to relate to this artical because I found it a very hard read..Although reading your take on it helped me get through it!

4:56 PM  
Blogger TheBull85 said...

Yes i totally agree with that of the Mark Twain and the Columbus portion of this article...i mean who actually sits and thinks of other people especially dead ones at that and comes up with what their lives had to offer and then compare them to todays cyber-world!!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Jenna Bridge said...

I totally agree with you on thinking computers when you hear the term "cyberpunk". But, through reading the article, i realized that cyberpunk means "Think for yourself: question always". And i agree that all independent thinkers have some cyberpunk in them, which is not a bad thing at all.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I was really glad that we were able to read something by Timothy Leary. People hear his name and automatically associate it with LSD, and then think that anything he has to say is worthless druggie-talk. But for those who really take an in-depth look into what he writes, a lot of it is provocative and makes you think about the capacities of the human mind.

4:59 PM  
Blogger James Gennert said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Hume said...

I also would never have thought of people such as Christopher Columbus and Mark Twain to be "cyberpunks." Mainly becuase the word "cyber" makes me think of computers, and I would never have really considered either of these men to be "punks."

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jarek said...

I liked the section on the evolution of the "counterculture." I like how their ideas and belief towards being rebels and outspoken infact made influences in the pop-culutre.

5:01 PM  
Blogger skyler said...

I agree with the whole Mark Twain being a "cyberpunk" I had never thought of him like that. And I think we all do have some cyperpunk in us.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

I also enjoyed the Leary article. It was more interesting than some of the articles in the past couple of weeks. I liked his in-depth view of the cyberpunk. Everyone in our generation definitely has some cyberpunk in them.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't actually read this article cause i read the wrong article for the week, but I did enjoy how he stated about the punk information and how he is a cyberpunk. After all, a majority of today's society are considered punks, whether they believe so or not, because a punk is just a free thinking, free acting human being. People of today's societies don't realize to what extent they fulfill this definition.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home