Wednesday, January 10, 2007

308jnighttheblog Woolley

Reading this article has given me a very interesting look at "Cyberspace". I like how it started out as a fictional concept in Sutherland's work and has become the reality that it is today. It just shows how yesterdays fiction can become tomorrows future, as technology expands. In the article they describe cyberspace as the annihilation of space. McLuhan then says "As electrically contracted the globe is no more than a village." Its kind of odd to think of the world as a village, but through "cyberspace" or the internet its a really easy concept to see. I've never thought of it in that way but the technology really does make it a small world. At any minute I can send a message to someone on the other side of the globe with a response from that person in a matter of seconds and its almost as easy as shouting across the room to a friend. Another thing in the Woolley article that was interesting to me was his section about the virus. Woolley says that the computer virus like the aids virus acquires a moral resonance, and he says that infection is guilt. Like he said the people most vulnerable to the "October 12" virus were the people most deserving of the damage. Most deserving because of their swapping of illicit software and so on. One thing from the article that I didn't quite agree with was the idea that a virus could become an evolving lifeform. I don't know about you guys but I thought that the Matrix was just a movie. It kind of seems in a part of the article that he believes that the machines could take over, and we rely on computers for so many aspects of our lives. I just don't see how it could do any more than what a programmer tells it to do.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I agree that it is weird to think of the world as a village. I like that aspect of the Internet though. I love the fact that I can talk to friends that I have met that live in different countries. I also agree with the fact that computers will probably not take over the world. I don't know though, maybe there are more to computers and technology than some of us could ever know!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I would definitely agree with your comment about the matrix. I don't see that happening, no matter how advanced cyberspace becomes. And I don't see how computers would take over either because as you said, we program them, so unless we programmed the computers to take over the world, that is unlikely to ever happen.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Lucas said...

I agree with you thought on the world becoming a village throught the internet. It is hard to believe that with in seconds we can be communicating with someone all the way on the other side of the world. I agree with you ,I doubt that computers will ever do more than the programmers tell them too. Good blog

4:49 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Convenience is becoming a key factor in the use of technology and the Internet. Playing off the statement of the convenience of sending someone a message on the other side of the globe, I see this as a breakdown of social skills and a lack of effort to communicate to a certain extent. Don't get me wrong, with the technology of today, being able to send something to a person halfway around the world is amazing. But the part that I'm playing off of is that it takes away from social communication and physical communication drastically. Many people communicate via the Internet even living right next door to each other. I believe that this deteriorates our societies physical social skills.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Tarryn said...

I agree that computers and machines could not take over. People have control over how much technology is developed so it is up to us how far things get.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home